Wednesday, June 17, 2009

And the next several days

Were spent on bedrest in the hospital. I was on monitors 24/7 so I was able to see the heartbeats of Baby A and Baby B ... we didn't know the genders back then, nor had we decided on names.

The monitors also showed contractions which sometimes I could feel and other times not at all. I was lucky to have several visitors (friends from work, and my in-laws) who kept me in magazines and books.

Hubby stayed with me at the hospital, including sleeping on an awful fold out couch. If any of your significant others out there have to do this, have them request an extra egg crate pad ... according to Hubby it made a world of difference. Luckily, I had a laptop and wireless, so I think the majority of my time was spent online, napping on my left side, and eating. Every time I turned around, I was getting a meal or a snack. It's hospital food, but I found out that the sugar cookies were pretty darn good.

I received the second steroid injection for lung development, more meds to keep my contractions at bay, and I also had an IV of fluids to keep me hydrated. Another word of caution, that IV of fluids will make you gain about 7 pounds in three days and you'll go home feeling and looking similar to a beached whale.

I also found out that one of my yoga buddies who was about 28 weeks pregnant with twin boys had been admitted. Since we really couldn't get up and about, we commiserated with each other on the phone.

I was released on Thursday to spend the rest of my pregnancy on bed rest at home, taking Terbulatine to stop contractions. They upped my dose since I would no longer be on monitors and it made me feel like I was on speed. Not that I could get much sleep anyway, but with having to get up to go to the bathroom every hour and feeling my heart race wasn't a very relaxing few days.

So the next few days, I spent a lot of time with Zeus and Zoe, lying on my left side trying to enjoy daytime TV.

4 comments:

Miche said...

My husband and I just laughed at this post as I sit here on my couch on bedrest myself.

You could not have written a more realistic post and I only spent a night there last week.

I turned down the Ambien three times before I figured out why they try to give it to you. It's impossible to sleep in that place hooked up to all that stuff.

Jules said...

call me crazy, but i LOVED the hospital food there...their wedge fries and oranges were yummy. And I loved their cheeseburgers for some reason.

Emily said...

Oh, I'm loving this story! Can't wait to hear more.. ;)

And I'm with Jules, I LOVED the food there. Especially the chocolate pudding!

NatalieDeltaGam said...

oooohhhh, i love this diary thing! i can feel the anticipation building!