Monday, June 01, 2009

Bathing suit blues

I recently ordered two new bathing suits from Lands End. I had ordered from them with success a couple of years ago, so I was excited for my new suits to arrive.

Well, I love the tankini tops, but I hate the bottoms. I showed one to Hubby and his response was "Well, it's not the most flattering one I've seen you wear."

If I can work up the courage, I'll take a picture so you can see for yourself. It's pretty bad. The leg opening is too low, too granny and it just cuts me off in all the wrong areas. So if you see the leg opening listed as "#2", do not order!

I have looked to see if they have any higher leg openings this year, but I'm not finding any that will match these. So, what's a girl to do?

I need two bikini bottoms - one black, and preferably one greenish (this patterned one above is a different color that what I have). Think my old standby of JCrew would have a decent bottom to keep the "twin skin" covered, but not make me look like a Grandma? Any other suggestions?

9 comments:

Cloggsy said...

Target and Old Navy have some really great mix and match solid bottoms and for a really good price!

Jessi said...

Was going to say the same thing...Target and Old Navy....Love the tops though.

Natalie said...

Great minds... I was going to post about Old Navy. They're having a great sale on bathing suits right now. Also, a few years ago I ordered from speigel & was fairly pleased with the suits.

five tomatoes said...

I've got the same top shown (but in the color shown rather than the pattern you've got) and I didn't like the standard tankini bottoms either. I ended up pairing it with these (http://www.landsend.com/pp/BeachLivingSolidSidetieSwimBottom~166816_593.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BBE&CM_MERCH=IDX_00006__0000000650&origin=index) bottoms because you can adjust how high the bottom goes on the side and make it more flattering. They have a green in the overstock for $5.99 (http://www.landsend.com/pp/BeachLivingSolidSidetieSwimBottoms~186231_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::LEM&CM_MERCH=IDX_00008__0000000138&origin=index).

Prissy Southern Prep said...

I would love to know what it feels like to have FUN trying on bathing suits..haha, I just don't enjoy it!

Susan M. Heim said...

I got some great bathing suits at Sears! I hadn't bought bathing suits in years because I hate how unflattering they are, and I actually walked out of Sears with three suits because I couldn't decide which I liked best! The tops look just like yours. (Like you, I have twin skin so I need my tummy covered!) And the bottoms are little skirts that are much more flattering than bikini bottoms. I actually braved going to the public pool in one of my new suits!

Kara said...

I love the tops that you posted. I read this post on another blog - the suit definitely seems worth trying:
http://missivesfromsuburbia.blogspot.com/2009/02/buy-it.html

Good luck!

Keith and Jamie said...

I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!! I had my own adventure trying to find a new swim suit. I did ultimately find bottoms at Kohl's and I love them. I have two different types: Chaps and Sonoma...both very leg flattering. The chaps is a higher (it is just at the belly button) with nice leg holes. The Sonoma is lower (but not indecently low) with nice leg holes as well. I remember seeing the Chaps bottoms in Black and Red...which I think would match your tops very well. Good Luck...

Mrs.Preppy said...

I ended up getting the same bottoms that Five Tomatoes mentioned.... I ordered a couple different sizes -- something is bound to work! Will let you know. And, I think I am going to order the overstock ones she mentioned.