Sunday, July 01, 2012

So .....

Did you go see it this weekend?

I don't know about where you live, but it seems that 99% of my female Facebook friends have been posting all weekend about MAGIC MIKE.

So, my friend, E and I went this evening. Armed with popcorn, water, and contraband vino and candy, we were the first ones in the theater. OK, so we kind of felt like losers for doing that. The being early, not the vino, but we really just got there early and it was not intentional. Even though, all afternoon, I kept texting E, asking if we should pre-buy our tickets, or arrive 30 minutes early, but I promise ... not intentional.

As people started coming in, I noticed two themes of movie-goers. The first was young to middle-aged women in groups, dressed up in what I would call "going out shoes", tight jeans, and "going out shirts." Kind of curious for a movie, right? I'm usually going in with a shawl or sweater because I always freeze, even when it's 102 degrees outside. The other theme we noticed were small groups of gay men. I'm assuming, just to see the action.

All in all, it was a decent movie. There is actually a story line people and for the woman in front of us who muttered "I'm disappointed. There was too much story to that.", what do you think you are going to? A strip club? 2 hours of videotaped stripping?

It's a movie. The last time I went to a movie, you can't touch the actors, you can't get sweat flicked on you by the actors, and you can't even have a drink unless you have an awesome friend who packs her own. Even with your fancy 3-D glasses on, the most that will happen is you move out of the way of flying knives or something.

So, it's not going to win in any Oscars, but a fun couple of hours. Definitely comical to say the least, I left confirmed that Matthew McConaughey is the perfect actor to play Dallas in this movie. He has the accent, the swagger, the confidence, and the ability to wear leather pants, have a marble bust of his likeness, and still somehow be lovable and have women screaming for him.

2 comments:

Miche said...

I did not see it. I'm still in therapy because he just got married.

I'd been preparing Steve for the day Matthew arrived at our house and he and I rode off together into the sunset.

Poor Steve...stuck with me now :)

Barefoot in the Park said...

going tonight with 3 other girl friends. one just texted "i found wine juice boxes i'm going to smuggle in. if we are going to do this, we are going to do it right." HA!