Monday, March 26, 2012

Now we're talking

Food and running. Running and food.

I can always talk/write about those two topics, so here goes.

Some of my running faves.

1. Garmin - yes, I love having a Garmin to keep track of time/pace while running, to analyze the heck out of fast runs/slow runs afterward.  It has been a helpful tool for me.  Otherwise,  I would have completely no idea how fast or how far I am running.  This is the one that Hubby and I have. Nothing fancy and we found it on sale at Target.

2. Shoes.  For me, it is the Brooks Adrenaline. I have been wearing these for several years and they are my favorite.  I wear them about a 1/2-1 whole size bigger than my normal shoe size.  They give me enough support that I need, don't seem to rub blisters like some other shoes did, and while they aren't cheap, they definitely aren't the most expensive shoe out there.  I do recommend, go to your local running store and get properly fitted for shoes.  I promise you that it makes a difference.

3. Of course, it's also all about the clothes.  I typically run in jog bras/tanks/tees from Target in the C9 line. Cheap, cute, and made with wicking material is usually good enough for me.  I did discover Old Navy running capris this that have been wonderful.  You can typically find them on sale for $15 and I think for the price, they are as good as the expensive brands.  I also love the Nike Tempo Track shorts, skirts from Brooks, and running jackets from Moving Comfort.   I go back and forth between paying $10 for a shirt to blowing the bank on a Moving Comfort jacket at a race Expo when I didn't properly pack.

4. Just so I can incorporate food into the conversation ... some of my favorite pre-run foods include bananas, oatmeal, whole wheat toast with peanut butter & banana, mini Luna bars or mini Clif bars.  I tend to run primarily in the morning, so breakfast foods are typically what I eat. It also depends on the mileage, time of day, how late I oversleep, and when I ate dinner the previous night if it's an early run.

While running, I like Clif Shot Blocks (a bit chewy, but they tend to be more gentle on my stomach), Honey Stinger chews, or Gu Chomps.   Sometimes I will pack a mini Luna bar, or try to schedule runs so I can pick up a banana from my car.  I have a couple of running buddies who will run with a banana, but I'm not sure if I'm that graceful.

Post-run, I am usually all about coffee, chocolate milk, gatorade, etc. Then, my hunger hits and I try to make healthy choices so I don't ruin the benefits of the run!  Again, I think that meal depends on the mileage, time of day, and when I ate dinner the previous night!

Marathon training officially begins in June, so there will definitely be more on this topic to follow.


4 comments:

Kelly said...

I really want to find a skirt or pair of shorts that I like to run in. I have two pairs of the tempos, but I feel like they ride up :(

bathroom designs said...

Hi

Good day administrator, I really love how it is easy on my eyes and the data are well written,
many thanks

Jessi said...

Congrats on training for the full marathon. I'm running my first half this weekend. Thanks for the info on the GPS watch - as I start running more/regularly, it might be nice to have a watch instead of carrying my iPhone.

Unknown said...

I love this post! Thanks for all the good info. I'm new to running and really appreciate your posts - they are super helpful to me.