Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Stubborn

So, in March, I put this goal out to the internet of running 5 half marathons this year. So far, I've run two and my third is this weekend.

It's the 4th and 5th that are wreaking havoc on my life and turning me into an obsessed woman.

I've been planning on running a local half marathon in October, but the clincher is that it's the weekend after the Susan G. Komen 3-day walk. When I talked to my running coach about it, she said absolutely no way should I run it.

I have found two other half's that are nearby, they are both Sept. 18, and both look pretty hard. (One goes up a mountain, and the other is in the mountains/foothills of NC ~ described as "mainly flat, but remember that we are in the mountains.") Also, I'm debating if should I really run another one that close to the Virginia Beach half. Or, I can look at it that I'll still be in half marathon shape, and should just go for it!

Of course, I have no idea how I'll feel after the Komen walk, or what kind of blisters I could have, so I'm tempted to go with one of the September races so I can get #4 out of the way, but I like the idea of having a little more time in between races. I have found 2 choices in December that will work with my schedule, so hopefully that should take care of #5. What to do, what to do?

Anyone walked a 60 mile/3 day event before, then run a half marathon the next weekend? I don't want to get injured or do something stupid, but I've also realized that I'm more stubborn than I thought and really want to make this goal a reality this year.

4 comments:

LauraC said...

What about City of Oaks Raleigh half on November 8ish? Is that when you'll be in NY? If not, come run with me! We may even be in a new house by then with extra rooms for guests.

Emily said...

You are so funny!

here's the thing. You didn't know you were doing the Komen walk when you set the goal. Right? and you will be walking 60 miles. SIXTY! So run 4 halfs and do one 60-mile walk.

If you are really that crazy, what about the OBX half on November 14 as #4?

Jules said...

Thunder Rd in Charlotte in Dec should be on your list. And I bet you can do the cannonball in Sept. Just see how you feel. HECK, you just ran 13 miles one wknd and 15 the next...so it is no different.

Jen said...

You could totally do 2 halfs a week apart. If you upped the ante and ran a marathon in your future, you would find weekends of 18, 20 and 22 milers. So, I think you could totally do 2 weekends in a row of halfs. Good luck!!