Tuesday, July 20, 2010

grilled cheese

I made grilled cheese sandwiches for Maddy and Libby tonight and all of a sudden, I was thinking about fall and everything that I love about it.


Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup for dinners, cool fall days with enough sun to warm your face, pumpkins, fall festivals, glasses of red wine, leaves on the ground, my favorite Japanese maple tree turning fiery red in our backyard, sitting outside on patios during those perfect days where it's warm, but not too warm to sit outside, bonfires and sharing meals with friends, hayrides, scarves around your neck, the perfect long sleeve white tee shirt, those days where you can still wear shorts, opening the windows and letting fresh air in your home, running on a crisp fall morning, hiking in the mountains, cuddled up and reading a book under a blanket, hot apple cider, the anticipation of Halloween and hearing the laughter of children in the neighborhood, watching college campuses come to life, wearing your favorite boots for the first time, needing a sweatshirt on a cool morning, feeling the warmth of a coffee cup in between your hands.


Then I stepped outside and it was still hot and humid, so I calmly shut the door and went back into the air-conditioning.

Sigh.

I love fall, but as I re-read my list, everything is about food or clothes. Oh well.

9 comments:

Jamie said...

...is there a problem with a list containing "food and clothes"...I am one to disagree. I HEART your list! As I was reading...I was mentally saying, Check...Check, Check...anticipation of Halloween got a Check cubed!

happy Tuesday!

Marcia (123 blog) said...

Everything on my lists is usually about food - we love food :) as evidenced by the extra weight I'm carrying LOL

Kelly said...

ahhh.. I'm ready for fall after reading your post!

Miche said...

My favorite time of the year too and my kidlet arrives this Fall :) Fun times!

Natalie at Our Old Southern House said...

when i think fall i think food and clothes too...hehe
i'm still enjoying summer...ask me in october when it's still in the 90s and i'm sure i'll be saying something else! ha!

Seersucker Scrapper said...

Not yet! I LOVE summer and am not ready for fall.

Just give me a few more weeks. Then we can talk about hot apple cider and sweaters! :)

Barefoot in the Park said...

i am so ready for fall, best time of the year in NC in my opinion!

Sarah said...

Um, thanks a lot. Now I'm craving grilled cheese like crazy (as if I needed another craving...)

Libby said...

Just ringing in to say this post made me SO homesick! (Never stopped following any of the girls via bloglines X)