Thursday, July 08, 2010

Answering questions ... summer supper & cocktails

Barefoot in the Park asked about my favorite summer supper, and Laura C asked about the fave cocktail.

As far as summer suppers go, I am a huge fan of pimento cheese sandwiches. They remind of me of visiting my cousin Judy (older cousin, more like an Aunt) and she would serve pimento cheese, chicken salad, and cucumber sandwiches by her pool. Of course, she managed to make it all seem elegant and I'm sure there was a pitcher of iced tea involved. Also in this same theme would be a simple tomato sandwich. White bread, sliced tomato, Duke's mayo, and salt and pepper. Hmmm, or a BLT sandwich.

To me, these are always easy, satisfying, and you typically don't have to "heat up your kitchen" as my Meme used to say.

My other option would be something from the grill (fish, meat, chicken, hot dog), served with fresh vegetables, corn on the cob, etc. Hubby just bought a new grill so I want to start making packets of potatoes again. Basically, cube up new potatoes, add other yummy veggies ... you can do anything from squash, zucchini, peppers, onions, add a little EVOO, ground black pepper, wrap them in foil, and let them cook on the grill. Yum.

For the summer cocktail, I'm partial to a good gin and tonic. I don't change it up much and while that may be considered boring, I consider it what works for me. I like a good gin like Bombay Sapphire, Tanqueray, or Hendrick's. A good beer is always nice in the summer, too. I tend to lean towards something light like Skinny Dip, Hoegaarden, or Natty Greene's Wildflower.

Oh, and since it's food related, MER asked if I prefer croutons or bacon bits. I would have to say that real bacon trumps bacon bits and croutons, but Ruby Tuesday's croutons may trump any other salad topping.

Laura C. also asked "how do southern ladies wear heels and skirts and makeup and all that with the hot weather and not sweat like pigs?"

I had to laugh at this, because while I guess I am a southern lady, I am usually sweating like a pig when the temperature reaches 90. I used to have a co-worker that anytime we had an appointment, it was sweltering and we would always have to park far away and walk just so we could end up sweaty and gross for our meeting. For one, we stopped in the bathroom, put cold paper towels on our necks and tried to dry our shirts Madonna AKA Desperately Seeking Susan style. I do think that skirts can be cooler in the summer because you can get a little breeze by fanning your skirt. Of course, us genteel southern ladies know that we would never do that in mixed company or in front of a gentleman! *Please insert your favorite southern accent to that last sentence.

4 comments:

MER said...

Ruby Tuesday croutons?!? How could I forget those...haven't been there in years, but always remember that it had a good salad bar w/ real bacon and yummy croutons. Seriously, the next time I'm in the US, I might have a chain restaurant binge.

Kelly said...

You're to cute! I just love reading your blog!
Have fun with the new grill! Nothing is better than some grilled veggies!

Sarah said...

I have a question, supermom! Actually, lots of them. What are/were your must-have baby items? I'm SO FREAKING OVERWHELMED trying to register.

Barefoot in the Park said...

we just got a natty greene's here. i'll have to try that one!