Thursday, June 10, 2010

passion

I think most of you know that I'm part of my local Junior League and we recently held our leadership retreat. It was a great weekend of bonding, learning, laughing, and pondering the future of our organization.


We were asked to fill out a short survey that will later be published in our local magazine as an introduction of our 2010-11 leadership team.


One of the questions is "What are you passionate about?"


I had quickly filled in so many other answers ... family, children, education, hobbies, favorite holiday tradition, but this one made me stop in my tracks.


What am I truly passionate about?


I have many "things" that I feel passionate about, but so many of them aren't serious enough to include in this survey. Chocolate mint ice cream, Nike tempo running shorts, my CHI flat iron, a great night-time moisturizer, a good glass of wine, and a leisurely dinner where you can talk for 3 hours.


I'm passionate about my children, my family, my friends, and my faith, but isn't everyone?


Some people are passionate about their favorite sports teams, their cars, or their lawn. While some of those resonate with me, I can't say that they get me out of bed in the morning.


I'm passionate about trying to give my children the best experience and start to their lives that I can. Whether this is through teaching, loving, or just having fun, I hope that they will look back on their childhood fondly and that we will have a good, honest, trusting relationship.


There are certain experiences that I've had that made me passionate. I'm passionate about premature birth prevention & research, finding a cure for breast cancer, suicide prevention, rights for people with disabilities, but I can't say that I stand up every day and "preach" about these things ... my passion is much more quiet, and more internalized. I guess I find myself wondering if passion should be quiet.


I have found that it's OK for your passions to change, develop, and grow over the years. Thank goodness I grew out of my passion for Cabbage Patch Kids, ESPRIT tee shirts, puffy stickers, and paint pens. Thank goodness I didn't grow out of my passions for books, writing, or running. My career used to be my #1 passion, and while it's still important, my priorities have definitely changed.


So, what are you passionate about? Do you wear your passions on your sleeve or would I have to get to know you to truly understand your passions?

5 comments:

Jamie said...

wow...have you been listening to my conversations? I have been pondering this for a few days now...and I tend to find myself in a state of confusion. What am I passionate about...can we not just be passionate about everything...or would that just suck the life out of life...hhhuuummm. Will definitely have to blog about this topic...thanks for the idea!

Natalie at Our Old Southern House said...

it's funny how we're most passionate about the things we have experienced or loved.
me:
1. historic building preservation
2. childhood cancer
3. adoption rights
(with #1 being the one i do the most for)

LauraC said...

I didn't outgrow my passion for puffy stickers. It is still there, quietly burning. ha ha!

My passions are:
running
reading
photography


I've had to think a lot about this as my time is limited, so I have to focus on the ones that stand out the most to me.

But you can probably tell that from my blog!

sanjeet said...

thanks for the idea!
PPC Advertising India

teresa-bug said...

This is something I think about often. I feel like my passions are so generic, yet still important. I need to think more on this!