Saturday, May 01, 2010

Full circle

It's amazing how life takes you full circle.

My parents have owned by Grandmother's house since she passed away over ten years ago. It sat empty for a while, then they decided to rent it. It has housed several wonderful families and a couple of not so wonderful families.



My parents decided that it is time to sell and they officially listed it earlier this week. They have worked tirelessly on painting, sanding, and updating. They refinished the very cool metal kitchen cabinets, stripped the old lady textured wallpaper in the dining room, and have really done a great job on the house.

It is still amazing to me to see the photos of my Meme's tiny kitchen and remember that she hosted family Thanksgiving dinners for 20+ people in that kitchen. Even more amazing is that she had no dishwasher. I also remember hand washing a lot of pieces of china in that tiny kitchen with my Mom, Aunt, and cousins.

She had a baby grand piano for a while, so I would go to her house every afternoon so I could practice. I remember having one of my birthday parties at her house, going next door to see her neighbor's beautiful garden, riding my bike up and down her street, and sitting on her sofa reading my Mom's high school annuals, and looking at my Grandmother's scrapbooks. She often hosted her bridge club on Sunday afternoons, and she liked to sit in the front room and keep an eye on the happenings of the neighborhood. She always kept her cosmetics in the bathroom, so I would often leave smelling like Mary Kay or wearing bright red lipstick.

My Mom and her two sisters grew up in this house so I know it's hard on my Mom as well. I think my Mom and I just hope that Meme's not looking down on us throwing a fit that her house has a for sale sign in it!

3 comments:

NatalieDeltaGam said...

what a great house and they've done such a good job w/it. i hope it sells quickly to a great family who can make their own lifetime of memories in it! :-)

Seersucker Scrapper said...

Looks like and adorable house. It's so hard to say goodbye to something that holds such wonderful memories.

PreppyBumpkin said...

It's amazing how a house is so much more than 4 walls and a roof. Thinking of you and hoping it is sold soon to a family who will appreciate it and that it will become a backdrop for a million more happy memories.