Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Role reversal

My Mom is starting chemo today, and I am flying in the opposite direction of the country to attend a conference. I know she doesn't technically need me to be there, but I can't help feeling like I should be there. Have I reached the point in my adult life that I'm the caregiver and not the care-receiver? Probably not, but it just feels like it today.

She was happy to receive a little care package that I put together for her. Nothing too exciting because my Mom is extremely practical, but I sent her some good hand lotions, chapstick, a book about cancer that a friend of mine gave me, some anti-cancer recipes, and of course, two pictures of the lambs, AKA Maddy and Libby, and a homemade card from them.

So, now we wait. She's ready to get started and ready to get it over with. Twelve weeks of chemo to hopefully fight this thing and win. I usually hate to wish a summer away, but this will be three months that I think we will all be glad when it's over.

Before she's done with chemo, I'll start training for the Komen 3-Day. I really feel like it's the least I can do along with support and prayers. What would be better than to see that a cure is found?

So, happy thoughts all around tomorrow and I'll update you next week.

8 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I hope the chemo works and there are no problems.

Preppy Pitbull said...

I hope your Mom recovers quickly and that the chemo is short, sweet and effective. Thinking good thoughts for you!

Miche said...

I'm been wondering how she was doing. Thanks for the update! She will be in my thoughts and prayers as she begins chemo this week. ((Hugs))

J said...

Thinking of you!

Randall @ Happy For This Moment said...

I'll certainly me thinking of her. How sweet of you to send a care package!

I'm Just Beachy said...

Sending your mom and you prayers for strength

Jules said...

thinking of you all!!!

MER said...

Keeping your family in our prayers!