Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Update

I really appreciate all of the sweet comments about my Mom. All I can say is that I have truly seen how resilient and tough she is. She was painting shutters the weekend after her lumpectomy, all without taking a pain pill.

She met with her Surgeon on Monday and found out that the cancer is in Stage I-B and it is invasive, but her lymph nodes were not affected. We had never heard of the "B" part before, but after talking with Mom and doing a little googling, I guess it's pretty common. Not perfect, but pretty good in terms of a diagnosis.

It's amazing how much information is out there and I've learned a lot in the past couple of days. Invasive basically means that it's left it's initial site and spread into the breast tissues.

Now more waiting ... she goes back in 2 weeks to meet with her Oncologist that will outline her treatment plan. I know this part will be the hardest on her, both mentally and physically, and probably on my Dad, brothers, and the rest of our family. Luckily, she has lots of good people at home to look after her and I'm trying to figure out a good time to go visit when I will be most helpful. If I go now, I'll be stuck painting shutters and ceilings at their rental house, but if I go later, I can help drive her to chemo, cook dinner, pick out wigs, and hopefully help her to feel as normal as possible. After all, what is more fun ... Mother/Daughter girly shopping or Mother/Daughter spackle and painting?

I was contacted by a good friend of mine who lost her Mom in 2008 to breast cancer and she is heading up a group of ladies who will be walking one of the Komen 3 Day walks for breast cancer. So, do you know what I did?

I signed up to walk 60 (!!) miles over a 3 day period in October, sleep in tents, and fund raise all in the name of finding a cure for breast cancer. I know I'll be talking a lot more about this decision and how I'm so scared about so many parts of it.

But, I was scared enough after seeing this happen to my Mom, my own scare last year, knowing a Mom of 2 who is only 40 having a double mastectomy and chemo, losing my Aunt, and watching other friends lose their Mom's to try to do something about it.

I know that the amount I will raise is just a small drop in the bucket when it comes to research dollars, but what if my little donation was the dollar that made a difference?

All I can think about is what if Maddy and Libby would only know breast cancer as one of those diseases that has a cure. How great would that be? That is my hope.


Help me reach my goal for the Susan G. Komen Washington, DC 3-Day for the Cure!

5 comments:

LauraC said...

Rock freaking on.
I don't mean that about the diagnosis, I mean about you choosing to do something about it.

I will keep thinking about your mom and praying things turn out well.

LauraC said...

Hey can you put your Komen thing in your sidebar? Jon's new company starting April 1 (the one that acquired his company) does matching donations so we're holding out on donations until we can get employer matching whenever possible!

If you don't want to do sidebar, maybe a reminder sometime after April 1:)

Kara said...

I sit on the Komen board in my state and know that every single dollar makes a difference. Last year our affiliate made over $7000 just from people mailing in their Yoplait yogurt lids. At $.10 a lid that's over 70,000 lids - the power of everyone doing a little bit to accomplish a bigger goal. You should be proud of what you're doing!

Randall @ Happy For This Moment said...

I'll be thinking of her too! Awesome goal for Komen - you'll be great!

Kim said...

This is such an amazing event! It's unforgettable! I walked twice in Atlanta and once in Tampa. You will meet incredible people with each step you take. You will be so glad you did it. Just thinking back on all the memories, makes me tear up! Good luck with training and fundraising, not that you need it... you're a rockstar!