Monday, March 15, 2010

Thoughts about the census

I'm sure this post will have me on some Government watch list now, but here are my thoughts about the 2010 Census.

Did anyone else think that the mailing prior to the mailing of the actual Census was a big ol' waste of our government dollars? I understand the idea behind "save the dates", but I think the yard signs, television ads, and the big Census envelope arriving in my mail are sufficient.

What if you have more than 12 people in your house? What will Octomom and The Duggar family do?

I loved the way that the envelope was marked "Your response is required by law." Really? Am I going to jail if I don't return this form? Of course, I'm a good law-abiding citizen, so my form is neatly filled out and ready to be returned, but can they really enforce this? Are they going to arrest me if I don't return it?

9 comments:

Randall @ Happy For This Moment said...

Agreed. Gosh, the government is so efficient, they should just run everything. Right?

I kid, I kid.

Sarah Wyland said...

I'm trying to remember if my mom filled out the census in 2000. I really think she didn't. She had newborn twins when it came out and clearly her time was devoted elsewhere. And she didn't go to jail. But then again, she could have so... :)

Miche said...

That was my first thought when we got the letter saying the form was coming. Thanks for wasting my money Mr. Government.

Jennifer said...

Hmm,
Well, they have given large fines and taken people to jail before....... so i wouldn't doubt if they would do it again, but of course they cannot catch everyone.

But i do agree they did waste the money by sending the other mailing out!

Jillian, Inc said...

We haven't gotten anything at all on the census yet. Wonder if it's done regionally? No TV ads or anything around here that I know of. Hmmmmm...... at least I won't be in danger of going to jail I guess. ha!

Mad About Plaid Girl said...

I thought the EXACT same thing when I got the 'your census is coming' letter in the mail! WASTE WASTE--of paper, mailman's time, person paid to create it, person paid to print it, etc.! CRAZY! And yet we paid for it all.

Meg said...

I said the SAME thing to Josh when we got ours last week and he assured me that they wouldn't do it if it didn't make some kind of difference. Apparently they study that kind of stuff. But I'm still totally with you.

Emily said...

If you don't fill it out, I'm pretty sure they will knock on your door when M&L are napping.

I was a little disappointed I didn't have more questions to answer! My OCD of filling in boxes was too much fun.

:)

Barefoot in the Park said...

gah i felt the same way. what a waste!