Friday, February 05, 2010

Why does snow

make me want to eat?

All I can say is it's a good thing that I don't live in North Dakota.

I was "that girl" at the grocery yesterday who really did need to buy milk. When I'm lugging my gallon of organic Vitamin D, I feel like I should proclaim "I really do need this ... I have twins at home!"

Hubby is back braving the crowds and snow for the rest of our supplies since I was planning to do the grocery shopping today.

On tap to make this weekend:

Taco Soup for today ... a mix between a tortilla soup and chili. Yum! From my friend, Kelly

3 FROZEN chicken breasts (or ground beef or turkey)
1 envelope ranch dressing mix
1 envelope taco seasoning mix
1 medium onion, diced
1 can rotel tomatoes
1 can black beans 1 can cannelli (or any white) beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can vegetarian baked beans
1 can kernel corn

Put everything in crockpot in order listed. Do NOT rinse or drain beans. Add a little chicken broth as needed.
DO NOT STIR. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Take chicken out and shred with two forks. Put chicken back in, stir, and eat.

It's A LOT of beans, but you can always use what you have and not follow the directions precisely. I'd love to try to make this with dried beans so you don't have as much sodium. It's really good to top with a bit of shredded pepper jack cheese, sour cream, and a few tortilla chips!

Chicken Cordon Bleu, ala Weight Watchers
Ingredients
4 spray(s) cooking spray, or enough to coat chicken
1 pound(s) uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, four 4-oz pieces
3 oz Boar's Head Smoked Ham, or other brand, four 3/4 oz slices
3 oz low-fat Swiss cheese, four 3/4-oz slices
1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
1/4 cup(s) honey mustard
1/2 cup(s) seasoned bread crumbs, Italian-style

Instructions
Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray.
Place chicken breasts between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound to 1/4-inch thickness; remove plastic wrap. Arrange 1 slice of ham and 1 slice of cheese on each chicken breast.
Starting from shorter end of chicken, roll up breast into a tight pinwheel. Tuck in ends. Secure with toothpicks.
Place flour, honey mustard and bread crumbs in 3 separate shallow bowls. Add chicken to flour; turn to coat. Transfer chicken to honey mustard; turn to coat. Place chicken in bread crumbs; turn to coat.
Transfer chicken to prepared baking sheet and coat with cooking spray. Bake until chicken is golden brown and cooked through, about 40 minutes. Remove toothpicks and serve.

This has been one of our favorite WW recipes ... great flavor and it's really easy to make.

Apricot Pork Chops, ala Cooking Light
5 1/2 cup apricot preserves
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic (I use a garlic clove and mince it myself)
1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
4 boneless pork chops

Combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl; set aside. Combine salt, cinnamon and pepper, and sprinkle over both sides of pork. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add pork to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Remove skillet from heat; add apricot mixture, turning pork to coat. Place 1 chop on each of 4 dinner plates; spoon remaining apricot mixture evenly over chops.

This may be a new favorite - the flavor of the sauce is good. The recipe doesn't call for it, but I think the apricot sauce would be good to warm it up instead of leaving it cold.

We also decided if a bag of dark chocolate chips just happened to fall into the shopping cart, that a batch of chocolate chip cookies wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

6 comments:

Randall @ Happy For This Moment said...

I make that Taco Soup all of the time and it is so yummy, especially with a little shredded cheese on top and some tortilla chips.

Stay warm!

Sarah Wyland said...

Mmmm! Everything sounds delicious! Especially the taco soup.

Have fun watching it snow! They're getting slammed right now where I'm from in Virginia!

Jillian, Inc said...

I am so with you. And, seriously, I get in a bit of a panic lately if I don't have at least a dozen homemade chocolate chip cookies in the cookie jar. I think this may be God's way of keeping me humble after I posted for DAYS about my weight loss. The jeans this morning .... a little tight. ha! And we don't even have SNOW.

Miche said...

When I saw that other week on Twitter you were making that Apricot stuff I meant to ask for the recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Seersucker Scrapper said...

That taco soup sounds sooooo good. I am going to have to try that one.

Enjoy your weekend snowed in!

Totty said...

thanks for the recipe's!
I tried the taco soup tonight!
I kept wondering all day long what that yummy smell was in my house!! I forgot the crock pot was cooking away!
Thanks!
Totty
www.bootsandtotty.com