Saturday, January 02, 2010

So did you ...

Eat your traditional pork, blackeyed peas, cornbread, and greens meal on New Years Day? We did, minus the greens, because I don't think I know how to fix them and no one in our house really likes them. So, what does that mean ... no extra folded money for us? Whoops.

Is this what you've always heard? Pork means progress (because pigs root forward) or for being humble, black eyed peas are for luck, greens are for extra folded money, and cornbread ... that may just be a southern thing? Is there a meaning behind it or does it just taste good?

I have also realized that if you are up at 5am on Saturday, due to a nagging cough, nearly every TV station is playing an infomercial. Today, I learned about several exercise DVD's, curling iron, juicers, panini press, weight loss concoctions, mops, Your Baby Can Read system, and probably 10 others. I think National Geographic was the only station actually playing a show, so I watched about conjoined twins and if/when they can have surgery.

Happy 2010 everyone.

3 comments:

Suburban Princess said...

No but I did eat a traditional Scottish new years dinner :O) Yum!

Anonymous said...

I'm a Yank; we eat pork, sauerkraut, and mashed potatoes. (Maybe that's not even a northern thing, but it's what we do in this neck of the woods!)

Holly said...

I'm a native Louisianan, and I believe the cornbread is for health. My mom always phrased it as "health, wealth, and happiness" - which I guess luck is part of the happiness. I hadn't heard the part about pork (but we always use the ham bone from the Christmas ham for the black eyed peas).