Wednesday, January 13, 2010

How Susan got her groove back

So I went to my Allergy/Asthma Doctor yesterday and left with one cortisone shot in the bum, two prescriptions (Singulair and ProAir inhaler) and a hopeful feeling. My Doctor is also a runner so she understands what I'm going through.

I was diagnosed with Exercise Induced Asthma back in 2006, I believe and typically kept it under control with an inhaler. I would go for periods where I would have no symptoms and when I decided to get pregnant, I really wanted to try to be off as many prescriptions as I could live without. Singulair was an iffy one as far as Pregnancy categories go, so I went off of it.

When I started running again in January 2009, I thought I felt pretty good when running, but it was like the light turned on for me today.

I went to the gym since running in 20 degree temps can cause asthma like symptoms on people who don't have a problem ... plus, I knew it would be "safer" in case I started having issues again.

I ran over 4 miles and felt like I really could push it. I kept increasing my pace (and while that may sound fast), I promise, it really wasn't it, but it was for me. I think I ran faster than I have in a very long time and I can't tell you how good that made me feel.

So thank you modern medicine. I now sound like my husband who is constantly saying "Better Living through modern medicine", while I typically go with the hippie-dippy, use some saline spray, a neti pot, and tea with honey approach.

So, let's cross all of our fingers that I can still feel this good when I'm out in the cold, in the dark, and running up and down hills.

1 comment:

MER said...

I went to an allergist before Christmas and I've been taking Singulair since that visit...it works wonders!