Sunday, January 10, 2010

Frustrated

So I ran at the gym on Tuesday morning since I wasn't quite bold enough to brave the 16 degree weather at 6am. I made it about a mile, then had to walk. My chest tightened up and I felt like I couldn't breathe. I walked for about a mile and felt somewhat better, deciding to finish up running the last mile. All the while coughing. I'm sure my gym-mates thought that Typhoid Susan was on the treadmill next to them.

I thought it might just be a fluke or part of a sinus infection that seems to keep hanging on. In retrospect, I should have gone to the Doctor this week, but things got busy. Libby ended up back at the Pediatrician, I had an out of town meeting, etc. You get the picture. Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

Today, I met one of my friends for what we had decided would be a 6-7 mile run. We purposely waited until the afternoon so it would be in the mid-30's and we set off.

We weren't probably a 1/2 mile in and I felt like I was struggling to keep up. Since we typically run at the same pace, I got a little worried. We hit the mile point, and I told her I needed to walk. We walked about 1/2 mile, then turned around because I just wasn't feeling any better. Same symptoms as Tuesday -- tightness, wheezing, coughing, etc.

As much as I hate to admit it, I think my exercise-induced asthma may be back. I haven't had to take my inhaler since 2007 and I really thought that I was over it. I know it's not my fault, but it just makes me mad that when I want to do something, I physically can't. I looked up some information online and I'm having a lot of the symptoms that are in line with asthma, so I bet coupled with the cold weather is probably why I'm having a flare up.

So, here's my promise that I'm calling my Allergist in the morning for an appointment. She's also a runner so I know she understands what I'm going through. I also want to make sure I get my miles in because I've started the 500 miles in 2010 challenge and I need to keep up!

4 comments:

Suburban Princess said...

It is so dry these days I think everyone is having a little trouble breathing.

LauraC said...

That is so frustrating! But at least you are doing something quickly about it.

Prissy Southern Prep said...

I know from experience how frustrating that can be. Glad you're going to see the doctor about it, and hopefully you will be back on track asap.

Mad About Plaid Girl said...

I TOLD YOU I TOLD YOU...! Feel better soon!