Tuesday, September 01, 2009

I'm going there

I typically don't "tell" people what to do ... well, with the exception of my girls and Hubby, but it's just not part of my normal routine.

But today, I'm going to do it. I'm going to tell you what to do.

If you are a woman, 35 or older, please go get a mammogram. See, I did still say please.

I had my first one two weeks ago and last week, I received one of those calls. You know those calls from your Doctor that you don't want to receive ... you want that nice little flat letter to come in the mail instead.

They told me not to worry, but they wanted to do a 2nd mammogram of my left breast. AKA Ol' lefty who never produced as much milk when I was nursing.

So, I went yesterday to have the 2nd mammogram completed. It's not cancer (that's my cancer whisper voice), but they have found calcifications that aren't completely normal (indeterminate) and need to do a biopsy to determine what they are. Hopefully, they'll turn out to be benign and I won't have anything to worry about. If they aren't, well then that's a whole different post. From what I've read and what the Doctor told me, most of the time the calcifications turn out to be benign, but they can be an indicator of early cancer. That scares the crap out of me.

So, I go next week for the biopsy and to find out what's going on.

I've definitely been feeling some nerves, but it has also made me realize the importance of mammograms and self exams. This kind of calcification would have never been detectable during a self exam and while it may end up being nothing, if it does turn out to be an early cancer indicator, then I feel like it's better to catch something this early and not find out years from now when it could be full blown.

I'll hop off my soapbox for now, but please ... if you are a 35 year old + female, please call and schedule your baseline mammogram today.

Please tell your family, co-workers, and your friends what to do, too.

11 comments:

Mrs. K said...

hope everything turns out perfect and your boob gets the dr. approval!

Emily said...

Oy. I wasn't expecting this when I clicked on your blog. Do you want my sister's email addreess? We can talk more about it tomorrow but I know she'd chat with you since this is EXACTLY what happened to her.

((((hugs)))) girlfriend.

Katiesperk said...

I am thinking of you! I hope it all works out.

LauraC said...

So sorry to hear the news. I have been on my soapbox lately as I got some suspicious moles checked and they turned out to be melanoma. I'll add this to my list to discuss at my next appt! For some reason I thought it was age 40 to get your first mammogram.

sarah said...

You're in my thoughts.

A girlfriend of mine just went through all of this and everything turned out just fine. They had to just rule every possibility out.

Miche said...

Wow. I'll be thinking about you and praying everything turns out ok. Keep us posted.

J said...

I've been through a similar thing and even when the doctors are optimistic, it's impossible not to thing the "C" word. Let us know what happens! I'll be thinking of you.

Prissy Southern Prep said...

Don't worry, I will heed your advice! And you will be in my prayers.

Erica said...

I hope everything turns out okay, thanks for the advice too!

KateOnTheBike said...

I totally support this. While I am only 29, I still get checked if I find something abnormal. When i was 24, i noticed a lump. I got it checked out. Looked serious. Got a biopsy. No cancer (thank goodness) - it was scar tissue - it appears someone had thumped me hard in that region and it scarred!! Was it worth the scary process of getting tested? Definitely. Why would we not do what is absolutely necessary in order for us to avoid cancer????

All the best with the test.

K

ashlie said...

Thanks for sharing this Susan! You are right, it's a critically important message. We will be praying for good results! XO, Ash