Tuesday, July 21, 2009

What to do, what to do.

Wasn't it just last year that I was pimping myself out to the Internet to find a job? Well, guess what? It's that time again

I am still currently employed, but found out that my job will be coming to a close at the end of the year. I appreciate the advance notice, but I just can't ignore this feeling like a huge rock in my stomach every day.

My current job is part-time and from home and is honestly, almost perfect. Unfortunately, my company is facing some serious competition near where we are headquartered, so they have realigned the entire marketing budget/efforts and will be cutting 4 positions, including mine. They employ several people who do what I do, but in different markets across the US.  The good thing and bad thing about my company ... they are small enough to make quick decisions.

And as many of you know, our state unemployment rates seem to do nothing but climb.

I also work in marketing and if any of you are searching in that particular category, you know what kind of jobs you typically find.

*SPORTS MARKETING!!! GREAT PAY!!! FLEXIBLE HOURS!!!*
Um, no. I'd rather not get dropped off in a neighborhood and hawk magazine subscriptions for a living.

*WORK FROM HOME. MAKE $$$$*
Um, no again. I don't want to pay you equal monthly installments of $129.99 to give me a "job." 

*AVON SALES REPRESENTATIVE*
Not that I have anything against Avon, but how did this end up in the marketing category?

So, here I am. Trying to be positive and continue to do a good job for my company for the rest of the year.

I'm faced with ... trying to decide if I'm really ready to go back to the days (if I can find a job) of 40+ hours a week, nice pointy-toed shoes, office coffee and office politics, and hopefully a rewarding job in marketing/pr. After all, my resume now looks more than spotty after 4 layoffs in the last 10 years.  Plus, it means that I have to leave two pint-sized "bosses" with someone else for 8+ hours a day.  I also have to factor in paying for care for those two pint-sized bosses. 

Or, could lightning really strike twice and I could find something that would be part-time, flexible, and give me time with the girls, but also time to turn on my brain in only a way that gainful employment does?  I just don't know if it's possible.  

Or, could I really be a full-time SAHM? Would I really be good at this? Do I have the sanity to do this? Can we afford this? Then if I wanted to go back to work when the girls are in school, and after 4 years of staying at home, would anyone really hire me?

I know that I have a while to think about this, but if I were to go back to work full-time, we would have to line up childcare.  Currently, I use a sitter service when I need it, but it would be way too cost prohibitive to use 40+ hours a week.  The childcare situation here, like so many other areas is highly competitive and we are still on waiting lists from when I was pregnant and still haven't received calls that our spots are open.   I really don't think I want to be back in the full-time arena yet and I also think that I'm not 100% suited for a full-time SAHM position either.

Clearly why my current job is perfect for me and I don't want it to change.  Can I just cross my arms and pout and someone will make it stay the same?


5 comments:

NatalieDeltaGam said...

i totally understand. i just want to sit here and have a temper tantrum until someone solves this work thing for me...you know my magic fairy godmother will come and give me $1,000,000 and i will never have to work again.
what sucks for us right now too is the economy. teachers are taking a 5% pay cut + 3 furlough days. TEACHERS! and 10 people lost their jobs at my school this year. whoever thought teachers would get fired?! so it makes me scared not only about my job, but cooper's job is "threatened" too. and then i feel selfish for wanting to stay at home when clearly i should work to help us out.
oh, i don't know. i know what i WANT (dare i say it...*need*), but can that happen?
sending lots of thoughts and prayers your way, susan. hopefully you and i can both figure this thing out.

Randall @ Happy For This Moment said...

I work in PR/Marketing/Advertising so I understand the "fake job" them. Um, "sales" advertising is not PR and really anything to do with sales is not PR. I hope you find something that works for you and your family!

Jillian, Inc said...

So sorry. That's a double-edged sword having to keep up the positive at your job for 5 more months. My hubby is a marketing/PR guy too - has worked both on the agency side and the corporate side. He got laid off from Earthlink here in ATL 18 months ago and started doing contract work while he looked for something permanent and he ended up getting so much work on his own that he is now self-employed. I hope this new job venture turns out to be the best thing that ever happened to you and that NEXT year at this time you'll be writing about your fabulous career move.

Jules said...

OH NO SUSAN! I can't belive it. I am so sorry. :( I know you are sad b/c that is the perfect job. I will keep my ears open.

And I can definitely recommend Liv's daycare...she has been there 4 yrs and we love it. I am going to be sad to leave when it is time for kindergarten in the fall. Enily's son Will oges there too and I think they are happy there.

amanda said...

Don't forget about the position that requires you to stalk people while they're completing their wedding registries at Target. You could have a fancy card with a water scene or something equally awesome from Vista Print and the company would be named after you!

You're making me think we should go ahead and sign up for childcare right now even though we're still just trying to get pregnant! I'm hopeful we'll be able to get a slot at the hospital. I heard the program at UNCG is good.