Friday, July 17, 2009

So, what are you doing ...

On this EXCITING Friday night?

After the girls were tucked in and Hubby was cleaning up the kitchen, I made the trek to the grocery store to stock up on necessities and some not so necessities.

Bananas, strawberries, blueberries, peaches, bread, whole milk, skim milk, eggs, avocados, fig newtons, Gatorade, coffee, olive oil & rosemary triscuits, and our EXCITING Friday night dinner.

Drum roll please ... California Pizza Kitchen BBQ chicken pizza. Yum. It's the kind with the rising crust that is the perfect happy medium between their thin crust pizza and too doughy super thick crust pizzas. It's become our Friday night ritual, because I have been running on Saturday's and it's a great carb loading meal. Plus, it's yummy.

Tomorrow begins Operation Sippy Cup. Poor Hubby will be starting Phase One while I'm out on a long run in the morning, so I hope it goes OK for him. The girls are great eaters and drink their milk of their bottle like little champs. I've tried to transition gently by giving part of the milk in a cup, but when they see the bottle, they throw huge fits that result in crying, screaming, and throwing themselves on whatever flat surface they can find and they won't even try the cup. Our Pediatrician recommended the cold turkey approach, so I'm hoping that it goes well.

I'm a bit nervous that I may come home to milk-stained walls and a frazzled Hubby, but here's hoping to find two happy, full-of-milk-out-of-cup girls and one happy Hubby.

2 comments:

Goddess in Progress said...

Good luck! I think cold turkey is the way to go. When we made the switch, Daniel could have cared less but Rebecca was simply NOT having it. It took a week of cold turkey and trying a few different cups. For maybe five days, she drank NO milk. But it's OK. Milk is not formula or breastmilk. It's just milk. Give them plenty of yogurt and cheese for calcium and water for hydration, and eventually they'll do it. For Rebecca, it turned out, the trick was to use a straw cup. And only THAT straw cup. Sigh.

Now, the cup no longer matters. But when we made the transition, for whatever reason, it really did.

May you have significantly less drama than I did. :-)

Jillian, Inc said...

Oh gosh, I feel for you. My son used a bottle until he was 14 months, only because I whimped out of taking it away. I agree with the cold turkey approach. Let us know how it goes! Pretty soon you'll be writing about how much they love their sippy cups!