Thursday, July 16, 2009

Peas, Spoons, and Life Lessons

I picked up the book Cookies: Bite Size Life Lessons by Amy Krouse Rosenthal several months ago. It is such a sweet book. The illustrations are beautiful as are the lessons. It's currently shelved in the girls' room, because it's what I like to call a big girl" book complete with a dust jacket and big pages that are way to paper-thin to be turned by one-year-old hands. I love to watch them flip the pages of books, but I normally just let them use their board books. We have so many that are now missing corners because they were also used as teethers.

We love to read to the girls and that is a big part of our nap time and nighttime rituals. One day I found out that Amy Krouse Rosenthal had written several other children's books that adults will love to read as well. While I love Goodnight Moon and have since I was a child, sometimes you just need to switch things up a bit.

I recently picked up Little Pea and Spoon to add to our collection. They both have great illustrations and sweet stories.

In Little Pea, Pea isn't looking forward to his candy that Peas have to eat for dinner, but he can't wait for dessert ... which turns out to be spinach!

I love Spoon, because it's perfect if you are ever having a down day. Spoon is a little jealous of the forks, knives, and chopsticks because of the exciting lives they lead. Spoon eventually realizes that he's pretty special after all.

There are several more that I think may need to come home with us. Little Hoot, Little Oink, and Duck Rabbit all look equally entertaining as well.

2 comments:

sarah said...

OMG! I love that you mentioned Little Pea! Little Pea, The Giving Tree and Where the Wild Things Are are my favorite children's books!

Seersucker Scrapper said...

Thanks for the tip. I hadn't seen those books and am always looking for something cute to read to the kids.

I too can recite Goodnight Moon by heart. :)