Saturday, July 25, 2009

Eat, drink, and repeat

We've been taking the girls to free concerts that take place in our city the past few weekends.  It's a great way for us to socialize with our friends, enjoy some music, and a little picnic.  It's also a good time for the girls to get out and socialize and they love that there are new people to watch, grass to touch, oh and snacks to eat.  I think they eat from the time we arrive to the time we leave.


 Oh, I miss my bottle.

.
Shoveling in food.



More snacks

New things that they have been doing lately ...

  • While on the picnics, grabbing the container of fruit when their plates are empty as if to tell me to "hurry up, already."
  • Making the "mmm, mmm, mmm" sound when they see the alphabet crackers aka cookies.
  • Maddy slaps the tray of her highchair when she sees me coming with strawberries.  They love them and literally eat fistfuls at a time.
  • Enjoying fresh fruits and veggies.  They love plums, pluots, mangoes, kiwi, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, cantaloupe, pineapple, etc.  I try to find new fruits to buy just to watch them gobble them up.  Oh, my neighbor came around the following day after the Indian giver incident and brought us a boatload of tomatoes, squash, and cucumbers.  Maybe he reads my blog! 
  • Libby has been making a "guh" sound when she sees the doGs.  I think it must be her way of saying "dog" and she's picking up on the G sound.
  • Libby has taken a couple of unassisted steps about three different times.  
  • Maddy hasn't ventured with the walking just yet, but looks so funny when I see her just standing in the middle of the room.
  • They each have five teeth and Maddy is currently cutting two more (one on top, one on the bottom).  Libby is definitely showing all signs of cutting more, but I don't see anything at the surface just yet.
  • Operation Sippy Cup  
Operation Sippy Cup has gone OK. We are one week without any bottles and while they don't drink nearly as much as they used to, we haven't had any major meltdowns.  They probably have gone from drinking over 24 ounces of milk a day to between 7-10 ounces a day.  Our Pediatrician would like to see this more around 20 ounces a day (including yogurt & cheese.)  I'm anxious to get them to drink more milk, but there's only so much forcing you can do to a 13-month-old.

I did buy a different kind of cup that I hadn't seen in stores.  It's called the Tilty Cup.  The first time they used it, you could tell that they were able to drink their milk so much easier. The cup is designed so the child doesn't have to tilt their head back as far and it has no valve, so the fluid flows much easier.  Genius!  My only complaint is that when these cups get dropped, the lid normally comes right off.  Zeus didn't mind, as he got to drink several ounces of milk from the floor, but I wish there was a better way to keep this lid secure.   So, I'm going to start trying the Tilty with water and not in the highchair so it's less likely to get dropped from several feet in the air.  Tilty, any safety latch mechanism you can add?

Summer is flying by and my babies are growing up way too fast.  I swear I look at them some mornings and I just know they have grown overnight.  Sigh.

1 comment:

kimberly t. bowling said...

Came over from Kelly's blog for te wedding dress post...

Your dress was so pretty, and you certainly did look excited on your big day!! :)

Had to comment on these sweet pics too, precious!