Saturday, May 02, 2009

A little secret

My little secret consists of 13.1 miles, several steep hills, a stranger turned running buddy, and friends & family at the finish line.

After I ran the 5K in March, I decided that I wanted to try to do another half marathon and do it before the girls turn one. I didn't really blog about it and didn't really talk about it. Basically out of fear that I wouldn't be able to do it!

Well, today was the day and I made it and also set a new PR - 2:22! I ran the NC Half Marathon, that was held in a neighboring city. I had taken my place near the back of the line because I really couldn't tell how many people were racing. It turns out that they started the race while people were still in line and in the porta potties, so I think a lot of people had a flustered start.

As they sang the National Anthem, I got a little emotional ... just thinking about all the many blessings of the past year. The next thing I know, the gun sounded and it was time to run so I turned on the iPod and was off. Right after I started a woman ran up next to me and said, "I hope you don't mind if I run with you. I thought you looked like a comparable runner and I don't want to run alone." Ummm, well, since you didn't give me a choice, I said that it was fine. Of course, I'm thinking that I don't want some lady chatting the entire time. But, after 3 miles flew by, Jill and I were old friends and I had decided that this wasn't too bad. We chatted about our families, professions, running, c-sections, music, blisters, hats, socks. You name it, we may have talked about it. We walked all the water stops, walked a few hills, and ran at a better pace than I thought I could do.

All of a sudden, we were done with 6 miles, then 8, then 9, then 11 and I was amazed that it was almost over. We had a beautiful day for running - cloudy, temps in the 60's and even a few raindrops. We made it to mile 12 and Jill wanted to try to sprint the last mile, so off she went and I enjoyed the last mile by myself. I knew I didn't have that much left in me, so I wanted to conserve energy until I was closer to the finish.

I neared the finish and could hear the crowds and realized it was pretty close, so I dug in and ran. I felt like I was flying until this guy that I had passed earlier whizzed by me. Grrrrr.
I crossed the line, received my medal, and found Hubby and the girls immediately. Hubby made a sweet sign cheering me on. Yay! We all enjoyed some post-race festivities, then came home to a much needed shower and short nap. I think pizza is now in my future.
My new running buddy, Jill.
Thank you for getting me up some of those hills and for sharing a piece of Gatorade gum!
Bending down to see Maddy and Libby. Hope I can get up!
Showing off our medals!
Me, OG Mommy Runs , and AK.
This was OG Mommy's 1st half marathon and she did great!
AK is a true stud and has a 3-month old baby!
It is also rumored that she wore heels in the delivery room.

15 comments:

Solar Powered said...

way to go, that is awesome! You've inspired me :)

Jules said...

yeah! Great recap! So glad we did it! You rock girl!! thanks or the ride home!!

Randall @ Happy For This Moment said...

Awesome job!

Northern Girl Southern Living said...

congratulations! that's awesome!

mak'n Changes said...

Well that is just wonderful! How fun! Running buddies are great for passing the time and getting you there faster. I love mine.
cindie

The Wilcoxson's said...

I get tired just thinking about running. Hopefully one day it will be a thing that I have time for, but I am glad that is was good for you.

Elizabeth said...

that is great! you did awesome! i just ran my first mini....the whole experience was incredible

Mrs. K said...

congratulations on achieving your goal! way to go! what a rush eh?

BLC :o said...

Aweee! That is awesome. Congratulations. Xoxo-BLC

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!!! I know from my daughter at MC 1/2...it takes determination. Now you can start training for the full marathon....and train with hubby...something to do together. (I know what it takes for that also. My son did it twice.) I am proud of you for your time also. You did great!!!

Ann in Georgia

J said...

Congratulations!!!

NatalieDeltaGam said...

woo hoo!!!
...and you make me sound like a lazy bum. haha

Kim said...

You rock, girl! Congrats!

Miche said...

You are such a secret keeper and so is AK! Way to go ladies it looks like you rocked that half :)

Polka Dots & Protein Bars said...

Congratulations! What an amazing accomplishment!