Thursday, March 12, 2009

How do you ...

throw a party for someone who doesn't want it?

My parents 50th wedding anniversary is this June. That's a huge accomplishment and something that most people would want to celebrate. Except, my parents ... or more specifically, my Mom. She doesn't like the fuss or expense of things like this.

So, my brothers and I have been talking about it and trying to decide what to do. I think we have decided to do something at my brother's house, keep it casual, and somewhat small. Just invite family and close friends.

Most of the invitations and supplies out there are soooo cheesy. Gold rimmed with wine glasses? Gag. What I need is an invitation shaped like a bulldog and baseball bat (their favorite things). Hmmm, where is that one? Our next task will be trying to tell them. I'm sure that will go over well. How do you get them to just relax and enjoy a little fuss being made over them?

4 comments:

Mrs. K said...

go to any invitation store- look in the kid's section...plenty of invites like that...why not just make it a surprise?

capegirlindc said...

Maybe see if there is anything at the English Tea Paperie? Mayby Chloe could design something? Or you could work with what she already makes?

Jules said...

when is the party? my co-worker makes cool things for super cheap...I will email you her website.

Well That's a Good Scottish Name... said...

We did a great surprise party for my parent's 25th anniversary and I took their "wedding photo" (not really since they eloped) and I had it scanned as the first part of the invite - the wording was a poem we made up just in silver writing because I thought the invites out there were WAY too cheesy. It was a surprise brunch at the country club - nice and low key but still an elegant celebration.