Monday, February 16, 2009

Homemade applesauce

Homemade applesauce is so easy to make for your baby, or babies. Plus, it makes a good amount and is easily frozen. Oh, and did I mention that it's really easy to do? It tastes really good ... I would eat this as is. It's plain, sweet, and yummy.
I started with six organic Red Delicious apples.

Peel the apples.

Next, core the apples. One of these apple corers really does help save time.


Chop the apples and place them in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Add two tablespoons water or unsweetened apple juice. I opted for the water. Cover and heat on low, for about 6-10 minutes, or until the apples are soft.
Puree until all of the apples are blended and no chunks are left. I use a Cuisinart stick hand blender. Spoon the applesauce into ice cube trays for freezing. I let these freeze for about 24 hours, then pop the cubes out and store in a freezer bag. Or if you have a hungry baby, spoon a little into a bowl for immediate serving!


3 comments:

Heidi said...

Thanks for sharing! I need to get back to making more baby food. I did REALLY good in the beginning when I was SUPER MOM, but then I had a brief breakdown and had to go with jar food. I quickly learned that I can't do it all!!!
My baby is 11 months this week so we can start making it a little chunkier.
Thanks for sharing all you sweet pictures. What darling girls!

Solar Powered said...

Thanks for sharing!

Miche said...

I just proved that I still have a brain after all.

Yesterday the pediatrician said we can start L on food when we are ready and he recommended started with applesauce.

And I remembered you had done it. Go me!

What makes me want to kiss my pedi is that he actually recommended making our food before I even said anything. I think I'm in love :)

Now I need to get some ice trays and maybe one of those fancy corer things :)