Saturday, January 03, 2009

Down the drain ... or more literally, in the landfill

How is it that I have been to Target exactly three times since December 29 and really don't have anything to show for it? Besides a few cute mercury glass candle holders and a new pair of yoga pants? And, how is it that the two cans of formula that were purchased there are G-O-N-E and we had to make the late night run to the grocery store last night to purchase two more? I also want to know how that for the measly amount of things that I bought today, how was my total $124.58? Humph.

Over Christmas, one of our relatives was asking us how many diapers, cans of formula, etc. we used in a week and I don't think we have really ever added it up, but I can tell you it's scary.

2 babies x 6 to 8 diapers a day = 12 to 16 per day x 7 days a week = 84 to 112 per week. Wow!

Formula ... I don't have a great calculation to use here. M & L both drink about 6 1/2 ounces of formula and breast milk, usually 5 times a day, so 2 babies x 32.5 ounces = 65 ounces per day x 7 days = 455 ounces per week. The amount of formula depends on how well "Bessie" has been making the milk that day. Sometimes I've noticed that Bessie's left side gets a little lazy, and that Bessie likes to get into the wine at night, so that gets thrown out. Let's just say that formula goes quick around here.

What else is in high demand these days? Bibs, pacifiers, burp cloths, lovies, and M & L's towel dolls, oh and we can't forget OxiClean. Never enough!

3 comments:

Heidi said...

You deserve a gold star! I can't imagine twins! I have a 9 month old that I swear goes through more diapers than anyone should!

I also got a blessing from the pediatrician to start using Target brand formula. She said it is the exact same as Enfamil. Guess I should have asked many months ago! It's 1/2 the price!

NatalieDeltaGam said...

oh lord!! we're going to have to stop eating around just so we can afford the baby's formula! that's scary! :-O i'm shocked!

Vikki said...

I told my husband that I am going to figure up how much I am saving us by nursing, then I can get a really nice piece of jewelry when all this is over-LOL! I couldn't imagine having to buy formula all the time-we wouldn't be able to eat either!