Sunday, January 11, 2009

Baby Food Making, Attempt One

Well, I guess it's really my 2nd time ... I baked and pureed a sweet potato for the girls last week. Today, was butternut squash. I know I've never bought a butternut squash and I may have tried one, but I think it was in a ravioli?

The one I bought looked like a gourd and I wasn't sure if to use the stem part, so I didn't. It smelled and felt like a pumpkin when scooping out the seeds. I just used the round part and I was surprised that I didn't end up with more "meat." Maybe I should have used the stem. I cut it in quarters and baked it for 45 minutes, then scooped out the meat, and gave it a blend with our hand-held food processor thing.

Sorry for the blurry photo ... aren't the pink ice cube trays so cute?



Anyway, here it is pureed and in the cute little silicone ice cube trays, ready for the freezer. I saved a portion to use for dinner later on today. I guess to get 9 servings out of one squash is still very cost-effective. The squash cost $3.00, so about 33 cents a serving. The organic squash baby food was $1.49 a container, which is 2 servings, so about 75 cents a serving. I'm not trying this out solely for cost savings, but also that it seems pretty easy to do, plus it's fresher and not sitting on a shelf for two years.


Now, don't get me wrong ... I still consume plenty of processed and packaged foods and I'm sure the girls will later on in life as well. Which we really shouldn't eat the crap, but I guess I would rather start the girls out with as fresh and healthy of foods as possible. If they turn out like me, I'm sure they will discover Wheat Thins and Hot Tamales all on their own!

8 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I did this for my daughter too. It seems to be healthier for them. I love that pink ice tray!

Goddess in Progress said...

Cute little cube tray! I never managed to be so stylish.

And, for as much as I loved making my kids' baby food and felt really good about it... they also had mac & cheese with hot dogs for lunch today. All things in moderation. :-)

Randall @ Happy For This Moment said...

My mom did all of my baby food as well, even before the natural food craze - it really was just less expensive!

Kristi said...

Good for you! I did this for my daughter when she was small and then food-milled whatever we were eating when she got a little bigger. Oh, and you totally should have used the "stem".

NatalieDeltaGam said...

3 things:
1. those little bottles they give you in the hospital are precious. in fact, we took 4 home w/us today and i just gave m.m. one--she drank 1.75oz--that's so little!
2. i have the dr. brown's formula pitcher on the counter waiting for a try tomorrow. it seemed like a good idea to me, but i'm glad you like it too--if a mother of twins likes it i know i will too!
3. i bought all the things to make m.m.'s food (when the time comes) too. people actually made fun of me for it. i'm even thinking about canning some things this summer (peas, applesauce, etc.) that i can use in the winter next year. we'll see.

Mrs.Preppy said...

Did you buy a recipe book for the baby food? I have also thought about making my own baby food for when the baby comes.

Kim said...

WHere did you get your running 2009 gadget? I want it! Congrats on getting back out there!!
Kim

Kim said...

thank you for the running info!! Have a good one...