Saturday, November 15, 2008

My day of "cooking"

One of the hardest things for us to figure out since the girls arrived on the scene is what to eat for dinner. When my parents were here after the girls came home, Mom had dinner on the table by 5:30 PM sharp. I don't think we've eaten that early since we were kids. It was wonderful to say the least, but they've been gone and we've burned through all the meals that were brought to us by friends. (Thank you - they were yummy.) I would try to cook something before Hubby gets home, but the timing is usually off and I'm feeding the girls, or um, playing on Facebook. So, we often find ourselves looking at each other at 7PM, asking the dreaded question, "What's for dinner?"

So, we decided to make a trip back to Let's Dish and this time we are being extremely lazy and choosing the "dish and dash" option. That means someone else even prepares the food for you. For an extra $10 and when I'm on limited time when I'm out sans children, it makes sense. So, later today, I'll be picking up chicken breasts with cranberry chutney, mini mozzarella stuffed meatloaves, a pork tenderloin, and a beef roast. We have the portions divided, so we typically can get 2-3 meals out of one dish. We've had the meals before and have found them all to be very good.

So, that is my cooking for today. One day, I really do hope to cook again on a regular basis. I mean, I do watch Martha for new recipes and subscribe to three food related magazines ... doesn't that count for something?

5 comments:

kb said...

My mom and her friends have a "cooking morning" where they all get together and 1 person makes 1 meal (but like 4 or so) with a side dish. Everyone swaps and the meals are frozen. So you get a lot of meals and they're all home cooked!

Goddess in Progress said...

Ooh, I loved Let's Dish when my kids were a similar age to yours. I went several months in a row. I think it does get easier to start cooking again, but sometimes you need the frozen stuff on hand. Hrm, I may have to go...

Mags said...

I remember those days well. Enjoy your dinners!!!

Mags said...

I love let's dish...however they closed both of them down where I live. I was soooo sad that I actually now have to plan my meals every week. Anyway, I am a fan of your blog and my blog is all about meal planning. I pick out recipes and then I write a grocery list on the blog every week. check it out!
www.planningmealsmadeeasy.blogspot.com. Or you can just click on my profile and find both of my blogs. Hope it helps!

Molly's Mom said...

Oh...I remember the "No Cooking Months" that went on in my house after Molly was born. I just remember looking at my husband when Molly was around 4 months old and asking him what he had been eating for dinner for the past 4 months. I was so oblivious to everything else going on around me unless it had to do with Molly. Now, I cook more often!