Saturday, November 29, 2008

Lessons learned

We had our first overnight trip with two five-month-olds for Thanksgiving and I think everything went pretty well. We did learn a few things from the trip ...

1) Don't expect two five-month-olds or any baby for that matter to not cry when brought into a loud and very busy house for the first time. We had a little bout of crying when we first arrived from what I will call "too many people in my face all at one time ... back the hell up." Luckily, they ate and then were happy to meet about 20 "strangers" who all wanted to ooh and aah over them.

2) Two babies in two pack n' plays in one bedroom makes for a sleepless night for the parents. At home, Maddy and Libby have slept in their nursery from day one and for us to all sleep in one room, we could hear every little sound they make. It was more than distracting and we woke up almost every hour. Would it be awful if the pack n' plays went in the living room for Christmas?

3) Girl cousins love babies. They looked so disappointed when I told them the girls were napping and couldn't be disturbed. Later, I found 3 of the cousins peeking in the window to see if they could see if they were really sleeping.

4) Dresses and cardigan sweaters, while so adorable are a big pain for babies to wear. The dresses just get bunched up and just seemed to get in the way. But, oh how cute are matching little dresses with white cable knit sweaters?

Edited to add photos ... for you, Leesie! My friend Lindsday took these for me last week ... I realized that I never took a photo on Thanksgiving Day (horrible Mom I know), but I'm trying to track some down from the inlaws! These are the dresses they wore, so you'll get the idea!








6 comments:

Goddess in Progress said...

It's hard having them in the same room when you aren't used to it, isn't it? It drives me nuts. :-)

And yes, girl cousins are almost universally way into babies. My 11-year-old cousin is chomping at the bit for me to get home to Chicago next week. She can't wait!

And yeah, dresses on babies are cute as hell but insanely impractical. Even worse when they start to crawl, because then their knees catch! It's better when they get to primarily walking...

lisagh said...

Pictures of the matching dresses? Pleeeeease?

lisagh said...

Yay! Thanks for adding the pics. And you're right - too cute!

SCG said...

My little one had to go in the living room last year--don't feel bad! :) She will be there again this year too!

Monogram Momma said...

I will fully admit to moving a pack and play into the closet on more than one occasion for that exact same reason. It's impossible to get any sleep when they are in the same room with you!

Lilian said...

Beautiful girls!