Monday, September 29, 2008

Back to the books

Since I had the girls, and even while I was still pregnant, my reading really consisted of baby milestone books, what to expect kind of books, life with twin books, and of course children's books. Good Night Moon, Brown Bear, Brown Bear, Pat the Bunny .... you know the deal.

I love to read, but it's really hard to make the time for it now. As a kid, I was obsessed and would read for hours. Just sit and read. I know my Mom loved it. I still love to read and finally tried to get back in the swing with my book club to read Bright Shiny Morning by James Frey. He wrote A Million Little Pieces, which I loved. Don't care if he made it up or not - I thought it was an incredible book and I think you must have spent some time heavily using drugs to write about some of the things he described in that book.

Back to Bright Shiny Morning ... Not sure how I'm feeling about it yet. It's written in his typically style - sometimes descriptive run on sentences or short one liners. Lots of chapters about life in Los Angeles, facts and figures about LA. I liked several of the characters, but I guess I was left waiting to know how they all interact. Maybe I missed something, but I guess they only had the city was their common thread. Anyone else read it?

I just started Bitter is the New Black by Jennifer Lancaster. Can already tell that I will love it! Easy read, full of sarcasm and fun. What's not to love about that?

4 comments:

Meg said...

If you end up liking Bitter is the New Black, she has two others that are just as good.

Scarlett said...

I agree with Meg--Jen Lancaster's books are all fabulous!
She has a blog, too! www.jennsylvania.com

Your twins are precious!!

Karen said...

All the Jen Lancaster's books are great, they are laugh out loud funny.

Karen

Ecupirate04 said...

Bitter is the New Black is on my to read list. Also, I'm with you on the first James Frey book it is still one my favorites.