Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Very sad

I know for most people, it may seem crazy to have your parents stay with you for over 6 weeks, but seeing my parents drive away this morning has brought me to tears. It already did last night, just thinking about it and I'm sure it will again later today.

I have never had an affectionate, lovey-dovey relationship with my parents. We joke that they aren't huggers, but I've always known that they love me and of course, would be there for me in any situation. After all, they are my parents. My dad is very stoic and quiet, where my mom is a little crazy and doesn't care what others think. I guess I'm grateful that I'm a little bit like both of them.

I think seeing my mom love those little grand babies so much also shows me how much she loves me. I know this sounds like some weird comment and I should probably be laying on a couch talking about this somewhere. While she's not affectionate with me, we laughed that she was going to kiss their cheeks off she gave them so many kisses. I'm sad because my parents live 8+ hours away and I'm not sure if they'll get to see the girls as often as they would or I would want. I'm sad, because my parents are 65 and 75 years old, and not to be morbid, but they won't be around forever.

I know that my parents have probably driven Hubby crazy (Thank you, Hubby for not losing it or leaving us.), but they have been such a huge help and it's been so great to see them with the girls. It's definitely been an emotional rollercoaster since our 1st days in the NICU, to the girls both coming home, to late night crying sessions, explosions of poop, and trying to be the first person to get the girls' smiles.

My mom never cries, and did this morning when they were leaving. I know that it's really time for Hubby and I to truly start life with just the four of us, or six of us ... can't forget Zeus and Zoe! It will be so good for us to establish our routines and get into the groove of parenthood on our own. I know I have to stop this sappiness, because someone will be up soon and ready to eat and to get my love and attention, and that is what's important.

10 comments:

Kristy said...

Your relationship with your parents sounds so exactly like mine! I am a mommy and daddy's girl to the core and my dad is stoic and quite as well, while my mom is outspoken and kooky. We are not a very affectionate family, per se, but I have never NOT known that my parents love me without boundaries. I worry every day what I would do without them....

We are blessed to have such wonderful parents! Congrats on the babies! Love your blog.

KSK said...

It is so giving of them to help you for 6 weeks - amazing! And don't forget - all those kisses they showered on your babies - you have to KNOW they were as affectionate with you when you were a baby!

Kim said...

what a sweet post... where are my tissues?

CRICKET said...

My mom came for 3 weeks after the birth of my second child and I too was emotional when she left. It will be nice to find your own routine but thankfully you are off to a great start with having your parents support.

Mad About Plaid Girl said...

What a powerful post! Just reading it put tears in my eyes because I have known your parents since I was probably 8 years old and haven't seen that side. That is what grandbabies do to grandparents. And don't worry--they'll be back sooner than you think. Not for you--but for those girls! :) LOVE YA!

adozeneggs said...

I too live far from my parents, and while we don't have kids (yet) Every time they leave we both feel a little lonely. But then it's back to our crazy business and the loneliness slowly fades. I'm sure your parents will be back sooner than you think.

Jules said...

I just got choked up and got a lump in my throat reading that last paragraph about your Mom crying.

Hang in there.

Jules said...

LOL on the iPod/musical tastes...there are so many to love!!! :) I think it is our age!
and Raspberry Beret should DEFINITELY be on there too.

tulipmom said...

I too got choked up reading this. My mom just had hip replacement surgery and has missed out on so much of baby E's first few months. Thankfully she was here for the birth and a couple of other times. But compared to how often she visited during T's first several months, the visits have been few and far between. Not to mention we really could have used the extra help ... it's not easy with two (as you know) and it's not easy with two who need constant attention (as you also know).

You guys are going to do great as a family of 4 ... I mean 6. I can't wait to hear about it!

suburban prep said...

My parents are 75 and 80. They live about a mile from one of my sisters who is expecting baby #3. Her other two guys are 2 and 3 yrs old and let's just say they don't sit still very long. My sister is also building a house on the land where my parent's house was (and where we grew up). The house was torn down for foundation problems too expensive to fix. My mother misses those two little guys on the days that she doesn't see them. My father has stated that my mother should have her mail forwarded to my sister's address. My parents have gone to see each of their grandchildren and it is hard on them too when they leave to come back home.