Monday, June 02, 2008

Birth & Baby 101

Well, Hubby and I finally had our "Birth & Baby" class this weekend, AKA, what to do and when, who to call, and how to avoid having social services called to your home.

While I was a little disappointed that the videos weren't circa 1970, there were a few posters showing labor poses with the women dressed in tights and leotards. Hmmm, how does that work?

Three things we did learn ...

1. During Labor, Hubby knows not to stay 2 inches away from my face and ask me how I'm doing. This will result in lots and lots of expletives from me or actual hitting. (One of the guys in the video was up in his wife's face the entire time and it would have driven any normal person insane).

2. There are still "those guys" that have to act like the class clown and ask questions such as "So, is taking the baby on a motorcycle a bad idea" and "So, how bad is alcohol for a baby?" I just really felt sorry for his wife who rolled her eyes at him through 80% of the class.

3. We learned all sorts of terms like "cheerio to a bagel" and what that represents. If you don't know, I'll tell you, but if you think really hard about it you can figure it out. All I can say is bagel=scary and it has nothing to do with breakfast.

6 comments:

Kate said...

ypgtwuI just spit out some ceral laughing at "cheerio to bagel!" It's the fact that sometimes the transition from cheerio to bagel is not slow and gradual but instead - no progress, no progress, WOW TRANSITION TIME - that makes it feel insane. (But totally worth it -- you will do fine:)

Kate said...

ok - the reason my comment starts out with gibbrish is that I am apprently totally retarded and can't do the word verification properly!!

tulipmom said...

LOL ... Believe it or not, I had never heard that phrase before.

lisagh said...

YIKES!

Scarlet O'Kara said...

In our classes, the example was grape to watermelon! And if you ask my mother, having a baby is just like trying to pass a pumpkin...

Scarlet O'Kara said...

Oh...I also forget to say that my husband loved Child Birth Prep Classes because he actually felt like he could do something...take notes, ask questions, act like a drill sargent in the delivery room. I didn't yell at him or punch his face, but I did tell him through gritted teeth to "LEAVE ME ALONE!" He got the message.