Friday, May 30, 2008

My friends

I'm not sure if anyone else does this, but do you find yourself referring to your "blog friends" as your friends, or at least wanting to do this? 

I recently overheard people in my office talking about Hong Kong, and I had to restrain from saying, "My friend, Libby is moving there in 2 months." or when another co-worker showed off the skirt she made this weekend, I want to tell her about "My friend Lisagh's adorable aprons that she sews."  I guess my fear was that I didn't want to be further questioned and then have to say, "well, I really don't know them - I just read their blogs ..."

I can say that I actually do know about 3 people who are on my list of daily blog reads that are actually friends - I know where they live, know their husbands, could call them up and chat.  However for the rest, I may or may not recognize you if you came up to me and said hello.

I'm afraid if I started talking about my "blog friends", people would immediately turn up their nose and think, does this chick have no life and no "real" friends?  I guess they would liken it to that imaginary friend from elementary school.

However, since I read about everyone's lives, likes and dislikes, the highs and lows, sometimes I feel like I am a part of everyone's lives and feel connected to those people whose blogs I read on a regular basis.  I guess it truly is a social phenomenon that all of us are going through ... so, my question to all of you, do you ever talk about your "blog friends" in public or is this something that you enjoy keeping to yourself?

18 comments:

Goddess in Progress said...

I do that all the time! I'll be saying something to my husband, and I'll launch into this ridiculous disclaimer about how I don't really know that person, but I read her blog, and we write together, and we email...

And yet, I seem to know more about what's going on with these "strangers" than I do with some of my long-distance "real" friends. Hrm.

Cloggsy said...

I do it all the time. My husband makes fun of me, but I feel like I know you all!

Libby said...

It's a strange thing, isn't it? I've tried saying things like, "My friend Susan, someone I blog with, is expecting twins" which sort of explains the friendship. Or "Susan, a blogger that I love to read, is expecting twins" But really, "My blog friend, Susan" sums it up best. I do talk (brag) about my blog friends in public (though not to excess) because they're all doing such cool things!

lisagh said...

Doesn't matter how or why or when, but we've all come into each other's lives for a reason. And we make each other laugh and cry and think. We support each other and root for one another to succeed and be happy. That's friendship to me.

And you are my friend.

So yes, I will say to people, "My friend Susan is having TWINS!" And I'll say it with all the excitement I would for anyone else I know.

Mrs.Preppy said...

I do it all the time and my husband makes complete fun of me. But I dont care -- I like it! So, I know how you feel.

Kerry said...

I do this too - all the time. When I did the Christmas card my husband kept asking who are these people - I would say oh friends from Richmond, she's going to have a baby soon... and he would say, should I know them? I would forget that he doesn't know my blog friends!

J said...

I just did it last night, when telling some co-workers about Etsy, I showed them my keyfob "that my friend made," that friend being Lisagh. I usually don't refer to people as "blog" friends because of the explaining that would go with it. And really it shouldn't need explaining. Just because we all aren't friends in a traditional sense, it doesn't mean that you don't care about each other the same way!

A. Rose said...

I totally talk about my blog friends and even aquaintances! Actually my friend is a pediatric nurse and I mentioned you one day and now whenever I see her she asks what's new with you and your babies! haha However I do try to restrain myself, people look at me wierdly when I say "No I just read her blog everyday" or "Actually he just posts comments on my blog page" oh well

RED said...

I catch myself almost talking about my 'blog friends' all the time. My 'real life friends' would never let me live it down, which is why I restrain myself - it's hard though! Esp because my blog is a big fat secret that no one knows about...tricky!

Belle-ah said...

I do mention folks but then always feel a bit nervous about the "where I know them from" moments. My DD always kind of gabs at me and calls everyone my "internet friends" in that not so subtle way that teenagers have for saying I have no life! Ha! What does she know? LOL I love all my blog friends, though!!!

Deborah said...

Right now I keep it to myself, but I do consider "my everyday bloggers" to be my friends, even though we wouldn't know one another if we bumped into each other on the street. It's funny, and good too I think, how we can develop such a close feeling toward people we've never met, but we've shared our feelings and our lives and it's a connection, albeit not the traditional kind.

Buford Betty said...

I catch myself doing so all the time! Too funny... I think it's such an amazingly cool way to take a peak into other people's lives that you otherwise would have no connection with.

Well I Do Declare said...

I think that is a "problem" that plagues us all :)

Kate said...

I do this too:) I only say "blog friend" to my husband - because he knows about the blog & might make fun of me but I don't mind it coming from him. Anyone else I just say "my friend" or the dreadfully vague "someone I know" :P

magnoliabelle said...

I do all time. So much so that I've gotten several friends addicted to reading blogs too.

Britt said...

I know exactly what you mean!

Meg said...

I usually just say, "my friend so and so..." unless I'm talking to Man, and then I'll say "my blog friend so and so" so he knows I'm not talking about some new in-person friend I've been hiding from him.

Jules said...

yes, i talk about my blog friends...and people think it is funny... ;)

PS. Did I see you at Sex and the City last night??/I swear I did but it was dark.