Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Menu ideas?

I'm throwing a little birthday party for Hubby this Saturday. Big 37! Whoo! I'm keeping it simple - heavy h'or dourves, wine, beer, etc. I feel like I need one more substantial dish & another vegetarian/light dish. (Clearly not for Hubby - he's anti-vegetarian, but for our friends).

Here's what I have so far...
Paula Deen's sausage cups - phyllo dough cups filled with a mixture of sausage, ranch dressing, cheese, olives, etc... baked in the oven. Yummy.
Paula Deen's cheesy shrimp on grit cakes - small grit cakes topped with shrimp, cheese & probably butter. Have never made them, but sound wonderful.
Meatballs - the not so secret, secret family recipe - the sauce is chili paste and grape jelly. Delish.
Crudites - or as my mama used to say, a relish tray
Red Velvet Cake from our favorite bakery
Crack rock aka Cookie candy, a favorite sweet with chocolate, toffee, butter, and sugar

Any ideas? I'm looking for relatively easy and yummy. Please post any of your ideas in the comments and I will happily share all recipes in one collective post. Thanks for your help!

5 comments:

Libby said...

Cheesy shrimp on grit cakes sounds like something that could get a girl in a lot of trouble-- I mean I can see myself munching on a whole plate of those!

I saw this recently, I haven't tried it but I plan to, looks simple and delicious.

Britt said...

I just posted about this Rachael Ray dip - it was SO easy and a pleaser.
1 clove garlic (grated)
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup cream cheese
1 cup green olives

Put them all in the food processor, pulse until creamy - serve with veggies and crackers.

atlanta social said...

I've made the grits cakes. They are very good. She also does shrimp and grits in martini glasses which was a big hit.

Amelia said...

We had the PD Shrimp on Grit Cakes for a party and they were a huge hit. The Grit Cakes are a little of a pain though... How about a Beef Tenderloin with Hard Rolls and Horseradish Sauce? That was also on our menu for this party and it was all gone. For a veggie option, what about mini spinach quiches? One other thing veggie is Greek Salad Cups. These look great and are super simple! take a cucumber and slice about the thickness of a sushi roll. Use your melon baller to scoop out the seeds leaving a small barrier and the bottom of each piece. In a seperate bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, feta and greek salad dressing. Scoop into the cucumber cups. Hope the party goes well :)

wendymichele said...

I swear by this shrimp and grits recipe. Very easy too!

http://www.tabasco.com/taste_tent/recipes/recipe.cfm?id=379&catid=22&name=Shrimp_and_Grits