Sunday, November 04, 2007

Book Club

I'm currently reading gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson for my Book Club. We meet Tuesday and I'm not quite finished (and need to get with it), but I'm really enjoying the book so far. Since we live in the South, we always try to read some good southern writers every now and then and I think Jackson does a great job at capturing the places, dialects, and emotions of her characters. I really love the first line of her novel. "There are Gods in Alabama: Jack Daniel's, high school quarterbacks, trucks, big tits, and also Jesus."

Growing up in a smallish southern town in Tennessee, I can firmly relate to this statement and while I somehow found my way into the popular crowd as a teenager, I started my high school years no where near that clique. Now, don't go reading into anything - I am far from the character named Arlene (as she's known in AL) and Lena (as she's presently known) in Jackson's book, but there are times that those "gods" in High School made me feel like the lowest of the low. But that's OK, J. Lorenzo, where ever you are with your high top red Reebok's, I hope karma has caught up with you.

No comments: