Sunday, October 07, 2007

Yummy goodness, Banana Bread

I noticed that we had two overripe bananas this week and I finally had the chance to make a batch of banana bread this morning. I also wanted to try out the convection feature on our oven. Banana bread is a childhood favorite, so I was very excited about my baking adventure.

The recipe is from Joy of Cooking and is really simple and yummy.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease an 8.5x4.5 inch (6-cup) loaf pan.

Whisk together thoroughly:
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

In large bowl, beat on high speed until lightened in color and texture, 2-3 minutes.
5 1/3 tbsp unsalted butter
2/3 cup sugar

Beat in the flour mixture until blended & the consistency of brown sugar. Gradually beat in:
2 large eggs, lightly beaten

Fold in just until combined:
1 cup mashed very ripe bananas (2)
1/2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans (I omitted)

Scrape the batter & spread into pan, evenly. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean (50-60 minutes). Let cool for 5-10 minutes on a rack... or not!

I had 2 good helpers while I was getting everything ready...

Before:

And, after:

I think this will make a great addition for my Father-in-Law's birthday celebration later today, if I can restrain myself from slicing a big piece right now!

6 comments:

hello sunshine! said...

Ooooo, I know I've got two bananas that are on the verge of being overripe! What a great idea, who doesn't love banana bread?! (Well, I guess if you're allergic to bananas... lol whatever)

Libby said...

I can never restrain from cutting right into banana bread (pumpkin bread etc.) when it's fresh out of the oven.

What a handsome set of helpers you have. :)

suburban prep said...

I have been on a pumpkin bread and zucchini bread kick at the moment. My sister's yougest (18 months old) doesn't eat veggies and well this is one of the ways she sneaks them in his food.

Kandice said...

that looks delicious, i'll definitely have to try your recipe...and i love your "helpers"... my yellow lab thinks she's a pretty good helper too!

MMM said...

That looks great! I made pumpkin muffins last night. I love fall flavors.

Tickled Pink & Green said...

Love those cute helpers! I have 2 pugs, but only one of them follows me all over the kitchen, cuz she's a complete pig!