Wednesday, May 30, 2007

House Hunting...

Hubby and I found a FSBO (for sale by owner) in the neighborhood that we love. We went last night to check it out. We walk in and realize that it has a pool. A beautiful backyard - the house is on 2 lots and actually has a 2 car garage. This is an older neighborhood and premiums like big yards and garages are a rarity. Actually has a walk in closet in the master. Kitchen has been redone - very tastefully, with granite and pretty cabinets. A lovely screened in porch.

So you ask, what's the problem? Well, even though currently we are a family of 2, we really anticipate children and Hubby is in outside sales, so an office for him would be nice. The house has 3 bedrooms, one very small and no other true dedicated office space. We've always said that we need 4 bedrooms, period. We really like the home - it's comfortable, has large rooms (with the exception of the one bedroom), hardwood floors,etc. Just not sure if it's the house for us, but we almost hate to walk away because we like it so much. Sigh. So, any deal breakers for you when house hunting?

6 comments:

amanda said...

We've had this same dilemma many times over. In fact, we came very close to buying a house that was way too small for us (only 2 bedrooms) and overpriced because we loved the charm so much. However, they wouldn't budge on our price and we knew we couldn't sell it without losing money just a few years down the road when we outgrew it.

suburban prep said...

I grew up with a house that had a pool and well that is the last thing that I would want now because here in the Chicago area it is a lot of upkeep for three months out of the year. I was the one who was required to keep the pool clean and all (even after I got married I did this --because I was the only one who did).
Closet space and room is the big selling points for me.

brandon said...

I've never had to be in the position of a house hunter before, since I am still so young (21), but I can imagine that it would be a very stressful process. I can't even imagine at what age will I actually become a homeowner! Baby steps for now, I've still got a long way to go. Maybe someday, hehe. All this reminds me of this show on HGTV called Bought and Sold, have you heard of it? It follows 12 agents as they help people go through the house hunting process. It's pretty interesting, maybe it'll make you feel not so bad about the whole process. Lots of house hunting drama. Check it out here http://web.hgtv.com/webhgtv/images/pac/59889/start_at_home.html?section=boughtsold,panel=videos
I work with HGTV so I know. ;-) it comes on Sundays at 10

brandon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Is there a chance y'all could do an addition to the property down the road as it is on two lots? It stinks to lose out on what seems to be a great possibility.

Good luck- house hunting can be so stressful!

Melissa said...

I was going to say exactly what PPC said. Would zoning permit you do an addition when the time comes?