Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Hosta R.I.P.

Hubby spent nearly all day on Saturday adding mulch to our flower beds, packing up items to take to storage, cleaning off the porch that somehow accumulated 2 borrowed gardening tools, boxes of crap to be donated, pamphlets of how to operate his RedMax leaf blower, two pairs of tennis shoes, flower pots, etc. I did my part by cleaning the house, cleaning out our laundry room and planting new hosta plants in the backyard. We're trying to get our house ready to put on the market this summer, so we're getting in clean up/pack up/spruce up mode. I went out later and I noticed that there was a large hole where one of the hosta plants had been with a few leaves left on the ground.

The culprit(s)? You guessed it, Zeus and Zoe. Zeus even had dirt on his mouth, so I'm sure I have found the responsible party. I sprayed the plants with Bitter Apple, a product we used when they were puppies, because they also then enjoyed the sport of eating plants. So far, it's working, but I still have my fingers crossed! Does anyone know of any other remedies? I've heard cayenne pepper works as well. Just trying to keep the plants in the ground!

Hosta update... 2 more of the plants are gone as of this afternoon.

2 comments:

Libby said...

Oh, Bitter Apple, I know it well! Last time I was at the place where I buy food/toys/bones for my dog I noticed that they had a new product on the counter along the better-apple-line. Next time I'm in there (likely very soon) I'll ask about it. It's an "all natural" kind of store so they might have some other suggestions as well.

Kimberly said...

The dirt in the mouth is what got me!